Saturday, February 23, 2013

From Liberia to Orlando



I am positive that words could not fully tell of my love for this family! And what an honor for me to photograph their oldest daughter, Agnes’ senior high school pictures.
My love for this family started 10 years ago when Agnes’ family started attending our former church. The Nyenkan’s had spent the last 14 years in a refugee camp, safe from the civil war in Liberia; their home country, until the United Nations rescued the refugees and brought them to America. The stories that they have shared with us will make your heart hurt.  We have walked through so many life moments with the Nyenkan’s over the past 10 years; from the birth of their youngest, Caleb, to helping them find work, purchase cars and purchasing a home (every American’s dream)!
I have watched Agnes grow into a beautiful young lady. She is graduating from high school and plans on attending college; something no one in her family has been able to do.  While we were heading to our photo shoot locations, we had great conversation about her dreams. She wants to be a nurse and work in pediatrics.
Once we arrived at our first destination, we discovered trucks and tents and people everywhere. So, there was no way I could take any pictures. So we kept on driving. I stopped at Rollins college to take some picture This was a great warm up session, to help Agnes work out her nerves. Our next destination had an event in full swing. I am lucky Agnes is easy going and just happy to be on the ride. We stopped at a location I have never used before. Agnes rolled with the punches and kept on smiling…. beautifully.
I wanted to check out a potential new location and Agnes was just the right person to try!  Unfortunately this location was not good but this allowed Agnes and I so more time together, more chatting time and more laughing time!  While we were driving around, she said she wanted some pictures on the railroad tracks…easy enough to do.  We stopped at the train tracks in Maitland and did just that! She loved taking these pictures.  And our final stop was an abandoned bank beside the railroad tracks, covered in graffiti. I know it sounds unusual but the pictures turned out great.




This was certainly a special day for me. I look forward to taking pictures of all the Nyenkan children as they graduate high school and move into adulthood. I know we will always be great family friends. God has put our families together and we have a special bond that no one can break! I always tease Mamie (the momma) …did she ever think she would be friends with a white southern girl in America! God has a great sense of humor and amazing plans for our lives…The Nyenkan’s are great example of just that!!

1 comment: